Mistakes happen and are part of your learning and growing experience. It is my opinion that you shouldn’t try to be perfect, you should try to be the best You possible. It is important to learn from mistakes so you do not repeat them.
One of the best ways to not repeat mistakes is by learning to control your mind and thoughts.
Here are 10 tips to learn how to control your mind and thoughts.
1. Gratitude. Even if you have went through something or some things that are beyond painful, know that they helped shaped you. They helped push you into something different. While you may not yet be on the other side of that pain, find gratitude for what you DO have in your life. Don’t bemoan the situation; instead concentrate on what you are grateful for before you get out of bed in the morning and before you go to sleep at night.
2. The smiley face. There was a time that my life was so difficult that I had a hard time thinking happy thoughts. It was too far a stretch from where I was currently at. I created the smiley face technique. Have you ever seen the Jeep smiley face; the yellow one with the beard? If not, go look it up.
When a bad thought would enter my mind, I would consciously pull up and think about that smiley face until I lost the desire to think about that negative thought. For a period of time, I thought more about that yellow smiley face than I did anything else. This technique helped me to be able to move into more positive thoughts.
3. The mindfulness happiness technique. Once I was able to feel happier, I began using mindfulness techniques. If I felt a sad or unhappy thought, I would look around and find something that made me happy and feel good.
If I was outside, I looked for a flower and concentrated on the vibrant colors and contrast. I marveled at how perfect and remarkable that flower was. It worked. Mindfulness brought me to a place of peace and happiness rather quickly.
4. Deciding what you want. You are probably very clear on what you don’t want, but do you know what you DO want? Figure this out down to the last detail so you can use this as a point of reference. To begin a journey, you need to know the destination.
5. Let bygones be bygones. The fact is that when we hold on to the past, we are holding on to an unpleasant experience. Release things that do not have a place in your life and instead focus on how you want your life to be.
6. Forgiveness. Forgiveness is about setting yourself free, it’s not about excusing a behavior or action. Forgive someone or something (and yourself) so you are no longer grasping tightly to that event.
7. Work on yourself. Yes, everyone out there needs to be better and so do you. In reality, the only person you can truly control is yourself. Make a commitment to yourself that you will focus solely on redesigning and regenerating your own life.
8. Write out what you want. Every day write out what you want your life to look like. This helps to keep you focused, and it does send out a creation energy that will start bringing that into your life. My favorite time to do this is over coffee in the morning for about 10-15 minutes.
9. Stay focused. Stuff happens that you don’t like. It always will. Allow it to come and go without sticking. Stay focused on what you want, not what you don’t want.
10. Meditate. At one point of my life, I did not understand the emptiness in mediation. I had always worked with something in meditation. I then found the emptiness one day. It wasn’t empty at all, it was actually full!
Meditate daily, if it is only for 15 minutes. Close your eyes and focus on nothing but counting from 5 down to 0. Start back at 5 when your mind wanders. If you do make it to 0, just sit in that space. When you come out, your brain will have completely changed.