I can't stress enough the importance of relaxation and proper rest to ward off the signs of aging.
In Thailand there are mummified monks. These monks died decades ago and have very little deterioration, while nothing was done to their body after death to preserve it. People say that the reason these bodies remain mummified are because the monks led a life of relaxation. Their diet was simple and clean, they meditated (relaxation) a lot, and they were in prayer a lot. When you look at people living today that follow those same principals, they really do look like they have frozen the hands of time and in some cases, even appear to have turned back the aging clock.
Here are the 3 things you must do to turn back the hands of time:
1. Simple food. A clean, simple diet is very important. Adding in heavy, complex foods that are mostly made up of chemical ingredients spends your precious energy to break down the food and try to use that for nutrition. Your body is not regenerating when it is trying to digest. Digestion of processed foods takes much longer than simple foods.
Eating refined foods actually makes us nutrient deficient and overweight. Having a body that is lacking proper nutrition will often cause premature aging. Your diet should be clean and simple, mostly made up of fruits and vegetables, coconut, coconut oil, and a small amount of nuts and seeds, chia, quinoa, fish and small amounts of meat.
2. Enjoy Life. While life is hard, it is also meant to be enjoyed. In fact, the majority of your life is meant to be enjoyed, but we live in such a stress filled world that it takes practice and dedication to learn to enjoy life. Reading the books of certain coaches like Paul Blackburn I have learned to "check in" with myself regularly throughout my day. By that I mean, you should learn the understand what emotions you are experiencing throughout your day, its called emotional intelligence and it helps keep you on track to achieving your goals and enjoying the moment.
I've learned to be dedicated to my own happiness. I turned off the TV (especially news and current affairs, it is amazing the crap you can find on TV these days, its all bad news as I now know that according to journos bad news sells) and turned inward. I let the drama go from life and began to follow what made me happy.
I was tired of being sick and tired. I had to be willing to let go of what was familiar but did not feel good. I cannot tell you how scared I was to make changes. I also cannot tell you how grateful I am that I made the changes.
It takes discipline but i try and take time-out breaks just to relax my mind. I look for the positive and stopped obsessing over the negative. I gave thanks constantly in my life. Before going to sleep and upon waking up, I said my prayers of gratitude. I became like a kid again, believing in so much more and my enjoyment for life came back.
3. Sleep, which never came easy, suddenly became easy. In the past, my mind would not shut off. I had restless leg syndrome and never really had much restful sleep. Over time, with my healthier lifestyle, all of my sleep problems went away.
Here are some ways to get anti-aging sleep:
- Massage. Ask your significant other for a quick massage right prior to bed. A massage can help your body relax enough to get the rest you really require. It does not need to be a full body massage, and it doesn't have to be long. A brief 2 minute neck rub is all that may be required.
- Counting sheep. If you struggle with insomnia, occasionally you may find that counting sheep will work for you. Counting sheep will distract your mind and help you mind relax so you can sleep. The majority of individuals will not remember counting to 100 the next day. Attempt this next time you can not fall asleep.
- Restless leg syndrome. RLS is a condition in which your legs start to twitch or feel uncomfortable, makings it hard to relax. This can cause you to lose rest. While it could be a sign of a health problem, often it is genetic or even an underlying genetic issue brought on by stress, pregnancy, or imbalanced nutrition.
There are a few supplements that I took that worked on my RLS immediately:
- I began taking a prenatal vitamin because it is usually higher in nutrients to get my body nutritionally sound once again.
- Calm brand magnesium with calcium
- Calamari oil
- GABA Calm at bedtime
Once you get nutrition back in your body, eat much more simply, and practice gratitude and relaxation throughout the day, sleeping will be a breeze.
You will no longer fear the aging process as you become more vital and beautiful from the inside out.